Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Checkride Day Stress

A customer of ours is in doing the oral for his Private Pilot checkride. I remember being so nervous the morning of my checkride all those years ago. If all went well that day I would be a pilot in just a few hours. I was about to get into an airplane with someone new and he was going to judge me and my flying skills. I was excited, nervous, scared, and all other emotions you can think of and all at one time.

It was a long drive to the airport that morning. The questions popped into my head at that point. Is that a cloud on the horizon? Is it too windy? What is the difference between Vx and Vy? Are my charts current? Did I brush my teeth? I ended up turning up the radio and let Sheryl Crow distract me.

After getting to the airport I focused on the task at hand. I met the examiner, a man with a big smile and a pipe in his mouth, and we went to work.

I have been nervous before each checkride. But this customer taking his ride today has some extra stress in my eyes that I have never dealt with. His parents are sitting at a picnic table waiting and watching. I have never had that, I just had to make a call when things are all done.

While typing this he has now finished the oral and is getting in the plane with the examiner. Good luck kid, we are all pulling for you!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: